You won’t need an Edge-IO board to setup the serial debugger on an Edge-V. Just use the on-board GPIO pins, as shown in this picture (same as VIM1, VIM2, and VIM3).
If you’re using an Edge SBC, continue reading below:
- [x] A Serial Debugging Tool. In this guide, we will use a USB to TTL Converter. Ensure that it supports the
- [x] Edge needs the Edge-IO breakout-board to support serial debugging.
Follow these steps to make the correct connections:
1) Connect Edge-IO board to Edge via the FPC connector.
2) Connect all the GPIOs, and check that the Tx / Rx Pins are connected correctly:
- Tool Pin
GND: <---> Edge IO
- Tool Pin
TXD: <---> Edge IO
- Tool Pin
RXD: <---> Edge IO
The connections should look like this:
3) Insert the USB-end into your Host-PC.
$ sudo apt-get install ckermit
Add Access Permission
$ sudo usermod -a -G dialout $(whoami)
Add the following contents into ~/.kermrc to finish the setup:
set line /dev/ttyUSB0
set speed 1500000
set carrier-watch off
set handshake none
set flow-control none
set file type bin
set file name lit
set rec pack 1000
set send pack 1000
set window 5
1500000 baudrate, you need to replace the
kermit binary. See Khadas Kermit to download, and execute the following commands:
$ chmod +x kermit
$ sudo cp kermit /usr/bin/kermit
Run the command
kermit to launch C-Kermit
Ensure that you have made the right connections, and if everything went fine, terminal will print this out:
Connecting to /dev/ttyUSB0, speed 1500000
Escape character: Ctrl-\ (ASCII 28, FS): enabled
Type the escape character followed by C to get back,
or followed by ? to see other options.
Tips: If the print-out contains the following line, you might need to check the step
Add Access Permission above.
/dev/ttyUSB0: Permission denied
If you use SecureCRT to connect the Edge-V or edge,maybe you will see this.
This is not caused by incorrect settings. This is a CRT bug. You need to follow my steps.
- Use kermit to connect you board,you will see the true log
- Close kermit,then use SecureCRT to connect you board.you will find all is fine.
note:If these steps don’t work, maybe you need to confirm your settings first.